Seeing as I am completely self taught when it comes to InDesign I find myself googling anything I cannot work out for myself so I thought I would share with you something I learnt this week, it’s a very quick and easy tutorial.
I wanted to combine two shapes into one and add a drop shadow but you’ll see when going through the tutorial that if you try to add a drop shadow to both shapes without merging them then you’ll get a very wrong looking effect.
1. I started by creating a rectangle and a polygon shape using the rectangle and polygon tools.
2. Next step was to place the polygon shape at the end of the rectangle shape, now I have the shape I was hoping to achieve.
3. Now for the drop shadow, if I were to add a shadow to both shapes now, it would look like this, not good huh?!
4. To turn your two shapes into one, they need to be merged together. Highlight your shapes and go to Window > Object & Layout > Pathfinder. I chose the first option: combine selected objects into one shape but you can play around with the other options to achieve your desired result.
5. Now you can add the drop shadow to your finished shape by right clicking on the shape and choosing Effects > Drop Shadow, make your selections and hit ok….voila!